We are retained by a Bank that offers a comprehensive range of banking products and related financial services. Products include Mortgages, Credit Cards, Current Accounts, Personal Loans and Savings Accounts. They are in a very exciting growth phase involving expansion to new market segments, distribution channels and products.
This is a newly created role and the Portfolio Insight Manager will have a critical role to play in supporting that agenda by providing business critical expertise.
The Portfolio Insight Manager – Consumer Finance role encompasses ‘second line’ oversight of the origination of new business through to collections and debt recovery from a risk analysis perspective. Primarily, the role holder will be responsible for the following key areas:
- Maximising the use of all available data sources to ensure robust monitoring of all aspects of the consumer finance portfolios across the lifecycle. Ensure that all trends, issues, adverse movements etc are highlighted, investigated and reported to senior management with recommended actions.
- Using all available forecasting models and techniques to form a ‘forward looking’ view of the profile of the portfolio to enable the assessment of stress scenarios and future downside risks.
- Optimising existing strategies (new acquisitions, back book and collections) to improve returns within risk appetite.
- Ultimately, ensuring a high degree of knowledge and insight, enabling the credit risk team to validate that the business is operating within risk appetite or to identify corrective action where required.
- Manage a team of experienced credit risk analysts to ensure robust and timely oversight of the risk profile of new business lending and the existing ‘back book’ using all sources of available data (both internal data and externally sourced industry / benchmarking data).
- Drive portfolio profitability across products; balance risk and reward to support the business’s growth agenda whilst maintaining control of credit quality and performance by reviewing and optimising strategies at both the front book and the back book.
- Provide insight to, and set expectation for, portfolio and segment trends through targeted analysis, forecasting and the development of regular MI.
- Continue to evolve and develop all elements of the portfolio monitoring framework in order to improve the information and insight available to senior management, identifying any adverse trends, areas for investigation and recommending any actions to be taken.
- Track the performance of the new business against Board approved Risk Appetite limits and early warning indicators. Work with Finance to forecast year end performance against limits by analysing pipeline profile and alerting senior management to any potential breaches of risk appetite.
- Use own industry knowledge and experience as well as portfolio insight to contribute to the annual review and setting of Risk Appetite limits.
- Produce the regular monthly management information packs for executive committees to include insightful commentary. Responsibility for the accuracy and timeliness of executive credit risk reporting.
- Continue to evolve and improve committee reporting to ensure that executives are fully informed of all relevant trends and issues associated with the credit risk profile of new lending and the back book.
- Ensure that all available external benchmarking data is used to inform understanding of performance against a range of metrics so that senior management is alerted to any potential ‘outlier’ risk.
- Continue to evolve lower level trigger reporting to ensure that the end-to-end credit lifecycle (from new lending through to debt recovery) is reviewed every month to detect any adverse trends in key segments. Lead the investigation of any emerging trends as appropriate.
- Develop a structured annual plan of activity / reviews under the framework which is agreed with Senior Management.
- Represent the team at internal forums / meetings as required, always ensuring that risk appetite and credit risk management are central to the decision making process.
- Represent the Bank at external forums as required.
- Provide high quality credit risk input to projects, new product development and ad-hoc investigations as required.
RELEVANT ACADEMIC/PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- This is a senior role that requires a significant level of technical experience
- Highly numerate/statistical knowledge – minimum degree level education in a relevant field
Significant credit risk analytical experience in developing credit risk strategies (front and back book) including the development and production of credit risk monitoring reports.
- Credit risk management experience – ideally a good understanding of credit scoring models and systems and the concepts associated with automated decisioning using CRA data.
- Experience of working on Consumer Finance portfolios.
- Knowledge of Credit Cards is particularly desirable.
- Strong SAS skills with the ability to manipulate large data sets and develop SAS code.
- Strong Excel skills with the ability to work with multiple work sheets, pivots etc.
- Ideally experience of team management and development
- Experience of senior stakeholder engagement and proven influencing skills
- The initiative and drive to achieve results within demanding timescales
- An analytical mind-set combined with problem solving skills
- Ability to deliver and achieve results within demanding timescales
- Ability to work on own initiative or as part of a team
- A strong self-starter; adaptable and flexible
- A dynamic, results-orientated individual